Sunday, September 25, 2011

This Blog is Not Plastic

Welcome!

The purpose of this blog is three-fold:

1) to create a platform to share my research, thoughts, and ideas about plastic pollution and to encourage a more informed discourse about plastic consumption

2) to join in on the plastic bag debate and petition for the continuation of the plastic bag tax in Toronto

3) to document my attempt at reducing my personal plastic consumption and provide solutions and alternatives to help others decrease their use of plastics

My intent is to develop and answer several research questions concerning the effects of the production, use, and decomposition of plastics on both the environment and the human body. And as I frighten myself with new realizations, I'll learn whether it is possible to live a plastic-free lifestyle (I have my doubts already).

My background is in film and media production and over the last couple years I have become increasingly more interested in environmental issues and activism. This project has been inspired greatly by my concern for the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, an island twice the size of Texas, floating in the Pacific Ocean and made up of millions of pounds of garbage, most of which is plastic.

As an amateur documentary filmmaker, my hope is that I can eventually use the research collected in this blog to produce a documentary on some of these important and pressing issues and bring them to light.

Looking forward to getting this project started! Your comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for my next blog post "Life is Plastic!"


And be sure sure to follow on Twitter @PPSProject for additional content and updates!



2 comments:

  1. The more voices the better! Have you seen the film Bag It? It covers a lot more issues than simply plastic bags.

    To meet others doing what you are doing, check out the list of plastic-free bloggers at http://myplasticfreelife.com/blog-roll/ and get inspired.

    My Plastic-free Guide can help give you ideas for alternatives: http://myplasticfreelife.com/plasticfreeguide

    I have a book on plastic and plastic-free living coming out in the spring, but by then you will probably have already learned everything that is in it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth! I'll check it out! Glad there are other out there like me! :)

    ReplyDelete